Job description: Global Battery Alliance Programme Manager
About the Global Battery Alliance
The Global Battery Alliance (“GBA”), created in 2017 under the World Economic Forum and recently incorporated in Belgium, is a global multi-stakeholder, pre-competitive partnership that seeks to accelerate the scale-up of sustainable battery value chains. Currently, the Secretariat services to the GBA are provided by The Responsible Business Alliance (RBA), as one of the world's largest industry coalitions dedicated to corporate social responsibility in global supply chains. As such, the candidate will be hired by the RBA.
This programme manager position is a unique opportunity to play a key role in delivering the GBA’s strategic vision. The programme manager will work across the portfolio of GBA projects and initiatives, including the Battery Passport, the Critical Minerals Advisory Group, and Circularity, on programme design, delivery, and engagement with key external stakeholders; in addition to supporting the engagement of the GBA membership across the portfolio of activities. This opportunity is well-suited for a dynamic self-starter to help build a leading global organization committed to social impact and sustainability through the power of batteries.
This position will report to the GBA Executive Director.
To be determined. Periodic international travel is required.
Anticipated Start Date
As soon as possible
Strategy & programme:
- Support the development, drafting, and implementation of GBA’s programmes and activities.
- Co-develop and lead stakeholder consultation and engagement processes: Lead on stakeholder identification, consultation, and engagement on GBA products, including Battery Passport indicators (i.e., Greenhouse gas rulebook and the Child Labour and Human Rights indices, others)
- Support implementation of programs to address emerging areas based on member interest and potential for strategic impact.
- Lead project management on selected workstreams and activities (i.e., Circularity, Critical Minerals), including convening and managing working groups for the development of the Battery Passport indicator framework
- Proven facilitation skills, demonstrated experience in multi-stakeholder consensus building preferred
- Ensure effective engagement by members in GBA’s Action Partnerships - including Battery Passport, Circularity, and Critical Materials.
- Ensure regular and consistent communication with the membership that maintains engagement.
- Support membership relations and growth through the identification of key stakeholders (corporate and non-corporate) and proactive engagement
Communications & Marketing:
- Help develop the GBA’s global public profile and brand identity, by contributing to GBA’s external outreach
- Develop communications assets necessary to support effective member and stakeholder engagement for the Action partnerships
- Provide input into strategic communications
Required skills and experience
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience, demonstrating progressive growth
- Advanced degree preferred, a Bachelor’s in combination with 3 additional years of experience will be considered as equivalent
- Program management skills:
- Facilitation (working groups, stakeholder dialogue)
- Managing contracts and consultants
- Developing, managing, supporting, reporting on, and monitoring programs and multi-year projects
- Demonstrated experience with the private sector, civil society, and government, either direct or through stakeholder partnerships
- Working in an international, multistakeholder, and multicultural environment
- Stakeholder engagement related to innovation initiatives
- Relevant approaches to stakeholder engagement (e.g., iSEAL, AccountAbility,…)
- Problem identification and problem-solving
- Presentation and external communication skills
- Familiarity with / Good knowledge of:
- Concepts and issues associated with responsible sourcing of raw materials, UN Sustainable Development Goals, UN Guiding Principles, the OECD Due Diligence Guidance and Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises
- Technical aspects of battery supply chains/industrial supply chains (procurement, supply chain mapping, risk management, traceability), mining/metals risks, circular economy, industrial carbon reduction approaches
- Sustainable development, human rights, child rights, environmental rights
- Compliance, regulation, policy evaluation, and impact.
The RBA and the GBA are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strongly encourage applicants from varied backgrounds to apply. At RBA and the GBA, we aspire to be an employer of choice where all mix/range of talented individuals contribute to the team and do their best work.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and starting date availability to secretariat@GlobalBattery.org with “GBA Programme Manager - Private” in the subject line.
Preliminary interviews will be video-based using Microsoft Teams/Zoom. References will be required for final candidates. Interviews will start on a rolling basis as qualified candidates are identified.